Head (after)

Ask the Simul8 Community

Content (before)

Spreadsheet input values altering position

natherden82natherden82
Created at
in Community support

Hi,
It is often the case that new variables will be added to my spreadsheet and I will want to add them to a particular location in the spreadsheet to keep things organised (i.e. inserting a row). However, I can't seem to find a way in simul8 to search by a named range in Excel, which means that this is not possible. This can be a massive error trap, I thought I could maybe find a workaround by using the 'Find' function. I can't seem to find the syntax that would allow me to search a full column in the spreadsheet. Currently I am trying
Find "varaiblename" spreadsheetname[1, ] ... but this does not work

Comments

• Was this answer helpful?

I got a good robust way to fix this and help avoid any incorrect assignment of variable values ................ there is a function called Search Sheet Area. So you if you put your variable names in a spreadsheet you can search for them and then direct your parameters from there.... for example, make a variable called rowNo and colNo:
    Parameters
    Search Sheet Area "Search text", Spreadsheet StartCell[left,top], Columns - Number of Columns in the area, Rows - Number of Rows in the area, Returned Column Number i.e. to pass to colNo, Returned Row Number - i.e. to pass to rowNo
    example:
    Search Sheet Area "variableName", Parameters[1,1], 100, 1, colNo, rowNo
    variableName = Parameters[colNo+1,rowNo]

this can really guard against error traps if your parameters sheet goes through changes as the project progresses (which is often the case - particularly for larger projects). It also makes it much easier for checking/verification

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

Content (after)