Ask the Simul8 Community

Prioritization Question

charlesmccharlesmc
Created at
in Community support

I have an eight step process with four work items entering the front of this queue on a daily basis. I have one resource working this process. I need the resource to perform Step 1 on all four items and then the items move to Step 2 where the process is performed on all four items, then on to Step 3, etc.

This is not working correctly in the simulation. The one resource will work on work item 1 at Step 1 and then may work on work item 1 on Step 2, but I need them to work on work item 2 at Step 1.

I have set the priority of activities in a descending order. For example, Step 1 is 100, Step 2 is 99, Step 3 is 98, etc. to try to bias the work of the resource, but this does not seem to be working.

I do understand how collect works, but collect is causing problems because if collect is turned on, it is pulling only ONE of a certain equipment resource, when I need it to pull four of that equipment resource.

Any ideas on where I should be looking to correct this?
Thanks,
Charles

Comments

• Was this answer helpful?

Hey Charles,

When you initially described the problem I thought of collect, but if you want 4 Resources to work on all 4 items at each step, could you try set each Activity's Replicate to 4? That way all 4 Resources will be used. To make sure that the Resource works on the item throughout the steps you can use Resource moves with Work Item: https://www.simul8.com/support/help/doku.php?id=features:resmovework

Does this help?

• Was this answer helpful?

I setup a model with 3 workcenters with decreasing priorities and then feed 4 workitems into it and it seems to work just fine. Here is a trace of the activities:
    0.00 Started: Move work to Activity 1
    8.84 End of Job on Activity 1 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 1)
    8.84 Started: Move work to Activity 1
    17.10 End of Job on Activity 1 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 2)
    17.10 Started: Move work to Activity 1
    24.19 End of Job on Activity 1 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 3)
    24.19 Started: Move work to Activity 1
    36.70 End of Job on Activity 1 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 4)
    36.70 Started: Move work to Activity 2
    43.85 End of Job on Activity 2 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 1)
    43.85 Started: Move work to Activity 2
    55.69 End of Job on Activity 2 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 2)
    55.69 Started: Move work to Activity 2
    65.79 End of Job on Activity 2 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 3)
    65.79 Started: Move work to Activity 2
    75.06 End of Job on Activity 2 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 4)
    75.06 Started: Move work to Activity 3
    87.36 End of Job on Activity 3 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 1)
    87.36 Started: Move work to Activity 3
    87.36 Main Work Item Type (UID: 1) completes travel from Activity 3 to End 1
    98.21 End of Job on Activity 3 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 2)
    98.21 Started: Move work to Activity 3
    98.21 Main Work Item Type (UID: 2) completes travel from Activity 3 to End 1
    108.18 End of Job on Activity 3 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 3)
    108.18 Started: Move work to Activity 3
    108.18 Main Work Item Type (UID: 3) completes travel from Activity 3 to End 1
    120.12 End of Job on Activity 3 for Main Work Item Type (UID: 4)

As you can see the first workcenter processed all then, then the next one did the same thing and finally the last one. Now were your workcenters connected with queue between them? Was the "travel time" set to zero for the entire model (this is my default way of running unless there is really need to have travel time that cannot be simulated with a "delay" workcenter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file