Head (before)

How to share one resource between 2 activities. — Simul8 Community Forum

Head (after)

Ask the SIMUL8 Community

Content (before)

How to share one resource between 2 activities.

vic111vic111
Created at
in Community support

I have 2 work centres but only one resource. I go to activity properties-resources... and what is next? Do I have to do the same settings in both work centres?
I also tried to set travel time from one activity to another (as in Simul8 instructions) but it didn't help.
Please help
Thank you

PS. I found this answer in forum history, but I don't understand how to do that:
"jholtmanjholtman July 2015
put a dummy workcenter to gather the two workitems, assemble them as one and pass it to the next workcenter that uses the one resource. On completion, batch out as two to recreate the two patients."

Comments

• Was this answer helpful?

Hello! A quick way of creating copies of that Work Centre, just so the Resource is shared by 2 or more Work Centres is to use the duplication wizard: https://www.simul8.com/support/help/doku.php?id=features:dupwizard

As for the travel times, I'm not quite sure what you mean because you can set both Work item and Resource travel times between Activities. Could you elaborate on what you're trying to do?

Oscar

• BetweenComments (1)

Not exactly sure what you are asking for. When you duplicate a workcenter, you have two different ones and each one can have its own distribution, and even set of resources. The whole purpose of a resource is to be able to share it between multiple workcenters to limit the number of activities that can run in parallel. Each workcenter can have its own requirements on how to use resources. Not sure what you are asking about with the "travel time"; this is the time for a workitem to travel from one workcenter to another, and unless that is an important part of your model, you may not want to use it. In almost all my models I have the travel time set to zero since it tends to interfer with the "time in system" when I have trying to determine that from queue sizes and percent running of a workcenter.

• BetweenComments (2)

It seems like the only solution is to add an additional resource.

• BetweenComments (3)

Thanks for the answer.
    When I duplicate work centre, can I change distribution only for one work centre? For example, one work centre has exponential 3, and duplicated one has average 10. Will it be correct?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

Content (after)