Questions on simulation layout and getting desired KPIs
I am working on a healthcare simulation for outpatient services. Our business wants to simulate the flow of patients in outpatient clinics based on theoretical schedules we could use.
We are using a lot of assumptions on timing, but generally the patient schedule (appointments) and staff schedules (resources) will be correct.
I have used a schedule sheet for patient arrivals, and a schedule sheet for resource schedules, all read from excel from 'VL on reset'
The layout is below, but having some issues.
I need to calculate my queue size between 8am and 6pm, with all related stats. I currently use a seperate waiting area (queue) for each outpatient service, but the reality is the patients sit in 3 - 4 different waiting area, but I couldn't figure out an easy way to route the patients from the waiting area to the correct treatement area.
- How can I calculate my queue (waiting area) stats based on a particular time period, on each day?
- Is there a way to keep the resources on hand even after their shift ends if there are more patients to see? Right now the staff leave and then the patient sits in queue overnight, which is not accurate.
- I need to calculate patient waiting times, where can I add this KPI?
- How can I calculate patients in each clinic by hour? A clinic will be a set of activities in the layout below, along with the waiting area for that clinic.
- Staff also have virtual appointments, this is time where I need to show the staff as busy and unable to see patients to help patients in the clinic. I couldn't think of a way to tie up staff and show them as busy during these appointments and calculate their utilization. The patients that have virtual appointments instead arrive ontime and bypass the waiting areas and wait in their treatment queue (with highest priority). However this will make the queue size KPIs inaccurate. How else can I simulate this part?
Please see the diagram below, is there a better way I could have laid this out and routed the patients accurately?