Head (before)

Using Visual Logic to change Global Data Item value from input spreadsheet — Simul8 Community Forum

Head (after)

Ask the SIMUL8 Community

Content (before)

Using Visual Logic to change Global Data Item value from input spreadsheet

tom100tom100
Created at
in Community support

Hi all,

I am struggling with updating Global Data Item values from a spreadsheet. I want to be able to change a variable value in a spreadsheet (for example, column 1 equals global data item name and column 2 equals global data item variable value), and update this in my model using Visual Logic (VL). I have many variables and so I would like to loop through each of these values and overwrite the pre-existing value.

I have worked out how to create a Global Data Item in VL using, for example, this line of code:
Create Global Data Item Inputs spreadsheet[2,row_no] , Number , Inputs spreadsheet[3,row_no]
but is it possible to then overwrite this value (after changing its numerical value in the Inputs Spreadsheet) using VL? For example, a function like this (note that this function does not exist!):
Overwrite Global Data Item Inputs spreadsheet[2,row_no] , Number , Inputs spreadsheet[3,row_no]

I have tried erasing the variable and then creating a new one using this logic:
Erase Global Data Item Inputs spreadsheet[2,row_no]
Create Global Data Item Inputs spreadsheet[2,row_no] , Number , Inputs spreadsheet[3,row_no]
however this creates an error message because this variable is used in VL code elsewhere..

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Was this answer helpful?

Hi David,

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to use the Erase Simulation Object command as a Global Data Item is not a 'simulation object'. I just tried using this method but without success. The problem with using the SET command as you have suggested is that this line of code
    "SET Inputs spreadsheet[3, row_no] = [value]"
    will set the actual spreadsheet value (in column=3, row=row_no) to 'value' instead of the global data item receiving this new value. I think the issue is that the global data item's value is assigned the raw spreadsheet value (at Inputs spreadsheet[3, row_no]) instead of a reference to this cell where an updated cell value could then automatically update a global data item's value.

Do you have any other suggestions?

• BetweenComments (1)

Hi Tom. I think that Erase Simulation Object will work if you are erasing something like a Number or Text global variable. I think spreadsheet cells cannot be erased and that might be giving the error. Instead of erasing, you can simply use the SET command and write it as:

"SET Inputs spreadsheet[3, row_no] = [value]"

David

• BetweenComments (2)

Hi Tom, could you also try it the other way around like SET [value] = Inputs spreadsheet[3,row_no] ?

• BetweenComments (3)

Hi Tom,
    I'm currently facing the same problem.
    I created multiple (hundreds) global data items via the "Create Global Data Item" command. After I've linked them to other VL-Sections of activities they can't be erased anymore. And sadly I haven't found a way how to set them userfriendly in a loop.
    The only way I found was to list them all manually one after another in the code which would blow the code massive.

Have you found a solution for this problem?

Br,
    Sebastian

• BetweenComments (4)

Use a spreadsheet to keep the values.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file